Tuesday 14 September 2010

Timothy Carey and the trailer to Tweet's Ladies of Pasadena



Tweet's Ladies of Pasadena (Timothy Carey, 1970)
Additional information

After being a fan of films for a while, I am surprised it was only a year or so ago that I knew about the actor Timothy Carey. Playing small roles in films such as John Cassavetes' The Killing of a Chinese Bookie (1976), The Wild One (1953), and Marlon Brando's directorial work One-Eyed Jacks (1961), Carey is infamous for his antics in front of and behind the film camera. He was also a director himself, making The World's Greatest Sinner (1962) and Tweet's Ladies of Pasadena, the latter a TV pilot for a planned television series.

Sadly his directorial work is almost impossible to watch, which is a shame because, if the trailer I've included in this post says anything, Carey made two works that live up to his bizarre and unique reputation. Admittedly if people find the trailer just strange for the sake of strange, its understandable, but watching it myself I can't help but imagine how it plays out for seventy minutes, especially since it did get a rare retrospective screening in 2009. I'm also interested in watching any of his small performances in other films. I've seen One-Eyed Jacks (I don't know if the version of The Killing of a Chinese Bookie I saw was the director's cut or the original version with extended Carey), but I am curious if anyone can recommend any performances by him.

No comments:

Post a Comment