Tuesday 6 August 2013

A Is For Africa Addio (1966)

From http://pics.imcdb.org/5605/9028.4.jpg
Dirs. Gualtiero Jacopetti and Franco Prosperi


This is not the first film I've seen that is a mondo film, is inspired by them or could be accused as being one. That would be the straight-to-videotape, anti-capital punishment documentary Executions (1995), which to my amazement was passed uncut on tape in the United Kingdom, having found such a tape copy in a British charity store. Considering the content, its kind of disturbing it was passed as it was even if its a legitimate attempt at political campaigning, leaving me with images I cannot get out of my head.

This is the first proper, Italian mondo documentary I have seen though, the conflict I had with it expressed in the length of this review. A film like this forces you to ask whether you can get merits from something which is morally questionable rather than sweep it under a metaphorical carpet like this sub-genre has been treated as.

Link - http://www.videotapeswapshop.co.uk/14814/a-is-for-africa-addio-1966-directors-gualtiero-jacopetti-franco-prosperi/

No comments:

Post a Comment